Logging into Google, Yahoo, Bing or whichever a viewer’s favorite search engine is, and seeing dozens of great websites is inspiring, but when it comes to actually build your own website, the challenge can be a little overwhelming unless good support is close at hand.
I know from experience because I started online as an absolute beginner with no-one to help me, not even my family. Websites were not their thing but I didn’t let that hold me back. To add to that, I wasn’t young and techie, but I didn’t let that stop me either. I believed that I would succeed with internet marketing and I have done so.
Helping You to Get Started With Your First Website
It Is Important to Decide On What Your Website Will Be About
- It is a good idea to build your first website about something that you are really interested in such as pets, crafts, sports, music, art or whatever you feel comfortable with.
- There are opinions that it is not necessary to start a first website around our interests, but I believe that when we have a passion it is easier to keep focused on the tasks we need to do to promote our website. We need to write content for our website and to be knowledgeable about our subject is a great advantage.
Do you have your own products to sell on your website?
- If you are creative and have items to sell such as art, photographs, or e-books you may be intending to build your website around those products.
Do you plan to promote other people’s products?
- You can become an affiliate marketer and promote other people’s products. To do this you will need to search online for products that you are interested in promoting.
Your Domain Name
- When you have decided on what your website will be about it is time to purchase a Domain Name.
- This will host your Domain and needs to be purchased when you have bought your Domain Name.
How to Start Building Your Website
There are thousands of websites promoting how to earn money online but you need to do your research to find a trusted source of information.
Be sure not to get caught by the scams that are out there on the internet. Regrettably, it is not always easy to identify a scam but beware of those who say that you can earn thousands of dollars in a day, or even a week, or a month. It is not so!
Becoming a successful internet marketer is seldom, or maybe never, achieved by following a Get Rich Quick Scheme. A get-rich-quick mindset is not the way to build an online business.
Earning a good income online is achievable with dedication and focus on the job in hand.
How Long Does It Take To Earn Money From a Website?
It takes time to build a website that will bring you sufficient income.
Admittedly, if you have a large budget to invest in paid advertising, then maybe you will make a larger income in a smaller time frame. However, I do not have experience with such investments and therefore cannot recommend them in any way.
What I can and do recommend is Affiliate Marketing which is a popular way of making money online because there are so many products that you can market through your website and get paid commission for your efforts.
If you choose to do Affiliate Marketing which is promoting other people’s products, this is what you would require to get started.
- Decide on what products you would like to promote. A good way to help with your decision is to go to Amazon.com and look at their Best Sellers. There are thousands of products for sale on their website to help you to decide what you would like to promote on your first website.
- Another way to find products to promote is to go to Google Search and enter the words ‘How to’, and many ideas will come up. For instance, if you are interested in promoting Hair products, you could enter into Google search ‘How to make my hair shine’, and you will find what people are searching for with respect to their hair.
Your Domain Name
- I recommend purchasing your domain name from Namecheap.com, as their domains are reasonably priced. To buy a Domain Name, you will need to open an account. But, you can go to their website and search for a domain before opening your account if you so wish.
- There are many website hosting companies. Hostgator provides an excellent service. I have used Hostgator since 2010, and I can recommend their service.
- What I like about Hostgator is their reporting, their Help Chat sessions, and access to the cPanel of my account. Like all aspects of internet marketing, learning about Hosting and using a cPanel takes time, but Hostgator provides sufficient information within the cPanel to upskill one’s self if needed. If I require help, I rely on their Chat session for the correct answers.
- Hostgator offers a choice of monthly plans. Also, you have the option of having multiple domains hosted on your monthly account.
There is a choice of website platforms available, but the most widely used platform these days is WordPress.
WordPress is simple to use. It has a text editor so that you can type your content directly into this editor and publish it to your website.
WordPress Themes are available free of charge, and there is a huge selection of themes to choose from that will enhance your website.
The information provided above is the basics of learning online marketing, with an emphasis on affiliate marketing.
More About Affiliate Marketing
If you are interested in learning more about affiliate marketing, I highly recommend taking a look at Wealthy Affiliate, which is a trustworthy and reliable program I have been working with since 2015.
Not only is this affiliate marketing program trustworthy and reliable, but it also offers a free subscription, including free hosting and free domain name, plus an easy and quick way to create your first website.
A free subscription to a quality training program is a true bonus to finding your way to building your own website.
Learn more about how Wealthy Affiliate’s FREE subscription will help you to become a successful Affiliate Marketer.
I wish you all the best with your online venture. Please leave your questions or comments below.