The Importance of Finding the Right Niche Market
How to build a profitable niche website is a question often asked. The truth of the matter comes down to understanding exactly what a niche is. It is vitally important to know how niche marketing works before starting your first website.
Whether you are building a website, writing a book, or composing an advertorial, without clear knowledge of the niche you are promoting the content is likely to become confused. This will cause the reader to be rather bewildered and unlikely to return to your publication at a later date.
With that said, before attempting to commence a new site, it is important to identify exactly what is needed to produce a niche website . Or, said another way – what is it about this site that makes it a niche website?
Let’s look at the Definition of ‘A Niche’
Collins Dictionary tells us that a niche is a specific area of a marketing which has its own particular requirements, customers, and products.
With that definition, we now have the knowledge that a niche can be referred to as:
- a specialized area within a larger market, or
- a category within a larger market, or
- a narrow area within a larger market
- One specialized market that comes to mind is ‘modes of transport’. The definition being ‘any vehicle that you can travel or carry goods in’.
- So, the specialized market ‘modes of transport’ is referred to as a large market or broad niche. This is because ‘modes of transport‘ covers a wide range of automated methods of traveling or carrying goods from one place to another.
To name a few niches within the wide range of automated methods, I’ve listed some below:
Each one of these items is a smaller, or narrower, niche within the specialized market ‘modes of transport’.
If we were to Build a Niche Website we might Consider Looking at one of the Smaller, or Narrower, Niches listed above.
In searching my favorite Keyword Tool to find a suitable niche for a new website, the results for the ‘Car’ niche show that there are 464 competing websites. Therefore ‘Car’ is not an appropriate niche because competition of 464 is too great for a new comer to internet marketing to build a new website around.
Another area we can look at within the specialized ‘Car’ niche is ‘best way to buy a new car’ . Again, the keyword tool gives the result of 155 competing websites, certainly a reduction in the number of websites for the ‘Car’ niche, but still too much competition for someone building their first niche website.
Now, Looking for a Smaller Specialized Niche still Within the ‘mode of transport’ Niche
Consider the niche ‘what to look for when buying a new car’ – the keyword search results for this niche show that the competition is 84 websites. With a competition of 84 websites it is possible to build a profitable niche website.
With these results my decision would be to build a website around the specialized niche ‘what to look for when buying a new car’
How to Extend A New Website Using the Chosen Niche
Having decided to build a new website around the niche ‘what to look for when buying a new car’ we now have the opportunity to add articles about categories such as:
- the 5 most important points in choosing a new car
- is the car being sold by a reputable dealer
- what are the warranties that come with the purchase of a new car
- how can I finance the purchase of a new car
- what is the best insurance plan for the purchase of a new car
Revisiting Important Factors in Building a Profitable Niche Website
When planning a new niche website it is important to take into account the following facts:
- Decide on a specialized niche that holds your interest. It’s not a good idea to build a website around a subject, (niche) that you have little interest in.
- Narrow down your search for the right niche until you find a category within the specialized market of your choice.
- Before finally deciding on the right niche for your website, make sure to check that the competition is low, preferably 100, or less, competing websites.
- Having chosen a narrow niche that you are comfortable building a website around, make sure that there are sufficient categories to write about. These categories will be the content of your website that people will be searching for. In other words, quality content in the form of articles is what you will need to be posting to your website continually, or at least until the website becomes an authority site receiving daily traffic.
Continuing to Develop Your Website
Choosing a niche for your first website and setting it up is a great start to earning a profitable income online.
Having taken this first step of providing yourself with a basic niche website, the aim will now be to develop this site over time and encourage visitors to your website.
I recommend learning more about Wealthy Affiliate and how this program can help you achieve your goals of earning income online.
Wishing you all the very best with your new venture of building a profitable niche website.
Your comments and questions are welcome and will be answered. Please leave them in the space provided below.