Updated June 2022
How to build a profitable niche website for Affiliate Marketing is a question often asked. The truth of the matter comes down to understanding exactly what a niche is.
It is vitally important to know how niche marketing works before starting your first website.
Whether you intend to build a website, write a book, or compose an advertisement, the content is likely to become confused without precise knowledge of the niche you are promoting. Bewildering visitors on your site by publishing unclear information is not ideal!
Before attempting to commence a new niche website, it is essential to identify requirements. Or, said another way – ‘what is it about this site that makes it a niche website’?
Table of Contents
Let’s look at the Definition of ‘A Niche’
Collins Dictionary tells us that a niche is a specific area of marketing that has its own particular requirements, customers, and products.
With that definition, we now have the knowledge that a niche can be referred to as:
- a specialized area within a larger market, or
- a category within a larger market, or
- a narrow area within a larger market
- One specialized market that comes to mind is modes of transport. The definition is any vehicle that you can travel or carry goods in.
- So, the specialized market modes of transport are referred to as a large market or broad niche. This is because modes of transport cover a wide range of automated methods of travelling or carrying goods from one place to another.
To name a few niches within the wide range of automated methods, I’ve listed some below:
Each one of these items is a smaller or narrower niche within the specialized market modes of transport.
If we were to build a niche website we might consider looking at one of the smaller, or narrower niches listed above.
Let’s look at the Car niche, which is identified here as a specialized area within a larger market. The larger market is modes of transport.
In searching within my favourite Keyword Tool to find a suitable niche for a new website, the results for the Car niche show that there are 216 competing websites. Therefore Car is not an appropriate niche as the competition of 216 is too great for a newcomer to internet marketing to build a new website around.
Another area we can look at within the specialized Car niche is the best way to buy a new car. The keyword tool gives the result of 68 competing websites, certainly a reduction in the number of websites competing for the Car niche. At a competition of 68, creating a successful website is possible. However, for a beginner to affiliate marketing, I recommend aiming at a competition lower than 30 or less.
Now, looking for an alternative specialized niche still within the ‘mode of transport’ niche.
Consider the niche what to look for when buying a new car – the keyword search results for this niche show that the competition is 82 websites. With a competition of 82 websites, building a profitable niche website is attainable.
However, with these results, my decision would be to build a website around the specialized niche the best way to buy a new car.
For anyone new to affiliate marketing the difference between the competition of 82 and 68 competing websites, although small, can have an effect.
How to Extend A New Website Using the Chosen Niche
Having decided to build a new website around the niche ‘the best way to buy a new car’ we now have the opportunity to add articles about categories such as:
- the 5 most important points in choosing a new car
- is the car being sold by a reputable dealer
- what are the warranties that come with the purchase of a new car
- how can I finance the purchase of a new car
- what is the best insurance plan for the purchase of a new car
How to Find Affiliate Programs in a Particular Niche
Various ways are available for finding Affiliate Programs in a chosen niche. Included below is a short list to assist you with your choice.
If your niche is computers:
- Enter into the Google.com search bar: computers + affiliate programs
- Open an account with Clickbank.com: In ‘Find Products’ at the top of the page enter: computers
- Open an account with ShareASale.com: Click on ‘Merchants’ and search for computers
- Amazon has hundreds of products computer related: However, it would be wise to create some quality content on your website prior to opening an account with Amazon.
- Cj.com is another company to consider opening an account to promote your chosen niche: Again, I recommend having some quality content on your website prior to approaching Cj.com
I assure you there is no shortage of affiliate programs to join and promote products within your favourite niche. The wise thing to do is, decide on the niche to promote and start building your website by creating posts that attract return visitors.
Revisiting Important Factors in Building a Profitable Niche Website
When planning a new niche website it is important to act on the following facts:
- Decide on a specialized niche that holds your interest. As I have already mentioned, it is not a good idea to build a website around a subject (niche) that you have little interest in.
- Narrow your search for the right niche until you find a category within the specialized market of your choice.
- Before finally deciding on the right niche for your website, make sure to check that the competition is low, preferably 100, or less, competing websites.
- Having chosen a narrow niche that you are comfortable building a website around, make sure that there are sufficient categories to write about. These categories will be the content of your website that people will be searching for. In other words, quality content in the form of articles is what you will need to be posting to your website continually, or at least until the website becomes an authority site receiving daily traffic.
Continuing to Develop Your Website
Choosing a niche for your first website and setting it up is a great start to earning a profitable income online.
Having taken this first step of providing yourself with a basic niche website, the aim will now be to develop this site over time and encourage visitors to your website.
I recommend learning more about Wealthy Affiliate and how this program can help you achieve your goals of earning income online.
Wishing you all the very best with your new venture of building a profitable niche website.
Your comments and questions are welcome and will be answered. Please leave them in the space provided below.